Pages

Sunday, December 13, 2009

Experimenting with Marshmallow Fondant (MMF)

Since I wanted to do a practice cake and didn't want to use my $17 tub of Satin Ice fondant, I decided to try and make my own. It was a sticky mess, but the fondant turned out fabulous! I got the recipe and instructions from a You Tube tutorial. I let the fondant rest over night and applied it to the cakes this evening. I was pleased with the texture and taste of the fondant, and it rolled out like a charm! I will definitely be making this again!

Below is a picture (taken with camera phone, so low quality) of my trial topsy-turvy cake. I did 6" and 8" tiers, but I didn't like the size combo (not enough space on bottom tier), so I've decided to revise my original plan (10", 8" and 6" tiers) and do 14", 10" and 6" tiers so that I will have more space. I need to make sharper edges when smoothing the fondant and taper the cake more, too. I didn't get to carve the top tier into a topsy-turvy shape because I didn't remeber to carve it before icing it. Oh well.




Also, I learned how to do the topsy-turvy cake from a You Tube tutorial.

No comments:

Post a Comment